ACVIM Board-certification Prerequisites:
- Must be a graduate of a college or school of veterinary medicine approved by the AVMA, OR be legally qualified to practice veterinary medicine in some state, province, territory, or possession of the United States, Canada or another country
- Complete a one-year rotating internship in medicine and surgery or equivalent broad based clinical experience
Next Steps to enroll as an ACVIM Candidate:
- Enroll in an ACVIM approved Residency Training Program (RTP).
- Review the list of approved RTPs.
- Visit the Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Programs for current openings and placement assistance (www.virmp.org).
- Review the Certification Manual (CM).
- Register as a Candidate of the ACVIM within 90 days of starting an RTP.
- Register online
- You will receive confirmation of your registration via a “Candidate Welcome Letter” from the central office within 60 days of receipt. This letter will outline your Candidate timeline (i.e. eligibility dates for credentials and exams) as well as your assigned Candidate ID# and other important information.
- Meet all certification requirements for your specialty as outlined in the ACVIM Certification Manual (CM). Minimum requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Pass General Examination
- Pass Credentials
- Pass Specialty Examination
- Complete RTP
For more information on Board-certification Prerequisites, contact Certification@ACVIM.org